Ajinkya Rahane
Ajinkya Rahane (Photo Source: Jio Cinema)

A jam-packed crowd at the Wankhede were treated to a masterclass in batting from local hero Ajinkya Rahane when the two heavyweights, Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings, collided in the 12th match of IPL 2023. Rahane, who smashed the fastest half-century of the season in the encounter, revealed being informed of his inclusion right before the toss.

Ajinkya Rahane's last appearance in a competitive match came in a Ranji Trophy game in January earlier this year. But the way the 34-year-old batted on his CSK debut, it felt like he was part of the playing eleven from the very first match. He made his way to the crease after Devon Conway was dismissed for a duck in the very first over of the chase.

It took the veteran Indian batter just 27 balls to make a mockery of the target set by Mumbai Indians as he smashed the fastest half-century of this year's tournament. Following his heroics with the bat, Rahane revealed that he was informed about his inclusion in the eleven at the very last moment as Moeen Ali was not feeling too well.

"I really enjoyed it, I got to know it before the toss. Moeen was unwell. And Flem told me I was playing. Had a good domestic season. I just try to maintain my shape. Focus on timing. It is all about you have to feel that you are playing a match. IPL is a long tournament and you never know when you get an opportunity," Rahane said in the post-match presentation.

I would want to play a Test at Wankhede: Rahane

The 34-year-old, who played a match-winning innings for CSK, last played for the national side in January 2022 after being one of the most dependable red-ball batters for team India. Rahane expressed his desire to play a Test match at the Wankhede, having never played a red-ball game at the iconic venue. 

"I always enjoy playing at Wankhede. I have never played a Test here. I would want to play a Test here. Important thing about Mahi bhai and Fleming is they give freedom to everyone. Mahi bhai told me to prepare well," he added.



from Cricket News: Latest and Breaking Cricket News & Updates Today | CricTracker.com https://ift.tt/vR8VEyS